Values, Goals, Choices and Means
First: human values
– Man is a being composed of body, breath and soul, three dimensions that interact in a Simultaneous, adherent and comprehensive way. They are integrated (analytical Graph appendix1) having two consonant aspects: social and personal.
– Values are the main principles that have no reference except man himself, they are not based on any religion.
-Religious values are the main principles that are based on a certain religion, inspired or descended from heaven or publicly lived on behalf of the former of the religion
-Religious values are at the same time certainly human but in the relation with god or the ultimate that man believe in.
– On the other hand the human values can be non-religious but could be found with the people that do not belief in God but in man only (these values could be in it’s old or recent root proceeded from a religious value.)
– Values of “Civil Society Current” are “liberal ” i.e. they could be found not only with the people that believe in man only but also with those who believe in man and God without any embarrassment or struggle between them.
– These Values are gathered in this document under the following titles:
– General Human Values, that are suitable worldwide
– Lebanese Human Values that are specific to the Lebanese human being as an individual or a group or a society
1.General human values
1.1 Man in his three dimensions the body, the breath and the soul and its syndrome powers is an absolute value with respect to:
-All other creatures: animal, plant and all things
-All political, economical cultural and religious institutions.
-All laws, canons, disciplines and customs
2.1.Personal essential values for every human being in spite of his race, nationality, gender, religion, personal qualities and social circumstances that are lively alike are:
-Life or living existence
-Safety of the three living dimensions
-Justice, good, beauty
-Human rights and freedom declared in the “declaration of human rights”.
3.1 The principle values, personal relationship that fulfill individuality is personal:
-Faith, hope and love towards the other person (and god to the believers)
-Respect appreciation and acceptance of the other differences.
-Participation in the development and happiness of the other.
4.1 principle values of social attitudes are personal:
-Solidarity, brotherhood, cooperation and coordination
-Equality, justice and partaking
– Central Jealousy (a center considering the other also a center)
5-1The main necessary value for the existence and the continuation of other values is the non-violence on it i.e. not to fight negatively against it but to participate in its development and fulfillment.
Note: the non-existence of violence differs from the non-violence methodology found in (document 5)
Lebanese Specific Values
1-2.From the constitution
Lebanese Specific Values are primarily mentioned in the Lebanese constitution and secondly in other laws. Following are the main numbered Articles in the constitution:
– Lebanon is a sovereign, free, and independent country and a final homeland for all its citizens. (1-A)
– Lebanon is Arab in belonging and identity. (1-B)
– Lebanon is a democratic parliamentary republic founded on respect for public liberties, especially the freedom of expression and belief, on social justice, and on equality in rights and duties among all citizens, without discrimination or preference. (1-c)
– The economic system is a free system that guarantees individual initiative and private ownership (article 7)
– Individual liberty is guaranteed and protected by law (article 8)
– There shall be absolute freedom of conscience. The state in
– The freedom to express one’s opinion orally or in writing, the freedom of the press, the freedom of assembly, and the freedom of association are guaranteed within the limits established by law. (Article 13)
2-2 From the Audio-Visual law and the conditions pamphlet
The pamphlet contains the following numbered conditions (as a sample of what we can perceive from other laws)
– In the service of Lebanese goals and national targets, the following must be respected:
– Human uniqueness
– Others freedom and rights
– Distinguishing feature in expressing thoughts and opinions
– Preserving public order, necessity of national defense and the needs of public interest
– ” The media cooperation’s performing its service as means in building human character”(6)
– Non-transmission or broadcasting of materials that can help in the raising of the sectarian haughtiness or the doctrinal one. the transmitting of things that incite the society specially the boys who will be exposed to physical or spiritual violence and the moral driftage, terrorism and discrimination of race and religion.(9)
– No doubt that the constitutional materials and laws include many values that needs explanation and this can be completed during sequential documents. We chose in this document some of the values that appear to be the most important from others for the present situations of
Lebanon, which are: Democracy, Secularism and
Note: it’s important for the work of the current to read the Lebanese constitution and other essential laws (especially electoral law and Audio-Visual etc…) especially the introductions where the main principles are mentioned.
Democracy has several syndrome, adherent values from which:
– The rule of the people (this is the exact meaning of democracy) that is:
– The possibility of electing deputies for the parliament in a neat decent process with no counterfeits or cheating.
– Implementing Democracy in choosing other representatives: for the municipality and for the selection of village mayors.
– Giving opinions in the issues that are essential for our lives, directly through a referendum or other tools.
– The possibility of practicing public liberties that are mentioned in the constitution and in the Audio-visual law
– Freedom of expression and belief
– Freedom of press
– Freedom of assembly
– Freedom of forming associations
– The possibility of protesting and criticising state policy using peaceful and non-violent tools for example:
– Articles and radios
– Public petitions
– Peaceful demonstrations
– Sit-ins (there are more tools mentioned in document n 5 on non-violence)
– Liberating the individual from political, economical and religious dominance that he will be a citizen belonging only to his country.
– The possibility of establishing political parties pro-government or from the opposition .The establishment of lobbying groups and shadow government and opening the door for the enlightenment and mobilisation of the public opinion. Forming a majority which will be able to change the situation, laws or regimes
Secularism is a very important value but passive or unknown on its reality, important in general and specifically in Lebanon because it can solve many social problems and has to be explained thoroughly to be able to know its content and practical implementation. Refer to document n 6 that explain secularism and here it enough to give a specification.
Secularism is the autonomy of the world and its factors, aspects and values from religious factors, aspects and values. This autonomy does not mean independence but positive neutrality which give the citizen the freedom to choose to be a secular believer or suspicious in religion and God or an atheist because of his deep free convictions. ” No coercion in religion: show the rationality of the word (cow image 256).
Secularism is not atheism as some wrongly thinks but freedom of belief and liberating religion from the taints of the espousal without conviction because of social pressure.
5-2 Integrated and Global Development
5-3 -Of the general values that the current approve is the Integrated and Global Development which also needs thorough explanation in order to know its aspects and goals and practical implementation in various fields (refer to document n 7)
6-2 It’s enough here to identify the words
– Development is the moving of a man or a group or a society from a less human state to a more human position.
– The Global development that is directed to:
– Every human being without discrimination or separation or forgetfulness or neglecting anyone.
– Each man without carelessness of the physical, psychological or spiritual.
– Integrated Development is the one that makes an integration between:
– Individuals, societies and countries,
– Man’s three aspects: physical, psychological and spiritual.
– Human different sectors: economic, social, medical, cultural and spiritual…
– 7-2 we can add on these two main qualities for development a third quality which is self-motivated and means:
– Development is not achieved from outside the individual or the group or the society or the motherland but from the inside.
– Not achieving it from above i.e. from the authority for also there is “no coercion in the development”.
Second Goals and Choices
It’s important to identify the words here also:
1.Goals and means
-A goal is what man attempt to achieve.
– The purpose is the final goal that man attempt to achieve.
– A mean is the way that man use to get to his target or purpose.
1.1-The purpose of man as human being
-The purpose of man cannot be except an ultimate value:
– God is for all believers,
– Man for all,
– Man mean here: the development of every human being as a whole (as it is said in the “Development”) and his happiness means man: each man , group, society and the group;
– For this reason man cannot be used as a mean or exploited or treated as a slave.
– No man group (or society or country)
– No group (or society or country) man
2.1-Goals of man
-Man can have many goals depending on the side he is standing on for example (as a citizen, as a parent, as a worker, as an actor or as a tourist)
– No man can have targets except in the line of his final purpose therefore his targets are proportional to his final purpose:
– Partially as parts of the purpose or scoped to it
– Or as a stage, periods of time that lead to the final purpose.
-What targets of man are in-line with the final purpose?
Values are said to be in-line when:
I- Making all the values that are mentioned human for example:
-Partaking and justice
-The Integrated Global Development…
B-The embodiment of any manifold value from the general targets for example:
– Woman’s rights, child rights,
– Laborers rights, handicapped rights,
– Freedom of the media, freedom of assembly,
– Abolition of political sectarianism,
– Economic and cultural development,
– Rural and literal development etc…
First we must identify the meanings of the words:
– The choice is the selection of some targets from all of the goals and struggle to achieve them.
– Collective choices are some goals that are chosen by a group of people, any group or society or a country. These people struggle in order to achieve their goals.
– Personal choice is the target that an individual who belongs to group chooses in the agreement with the choices of other members in order to achieve the joint purpose.
– Collective current choices between many goals are the one that is selected by the establishment committee the central administrative committee of the current.
– Temporary we can consider that the current choices are those selected by the first members of the current.
– Achievement of the global secularization
– Implementation of Human Rights declaration
– Generalization of the right education.
– Economy rationalization
The means as mentioned above are the ways that man authorizes in order to achieve the target or the chosen targets or the purpose
Are the ones that the individual doesn’t care about the impact that the results will have on others, the results may negatively hurt the other person values.
These means consider that “good end justify bad means”
The one that its owner wants to achieve the target or the final purpose without hurting the other ultimate value or the main value.
And the one that authorizes the persuasion means and the cooperation and the arrangement and the accompanying for achieving the target or the purpose.
And the one that wants suitable means for suitable target.
The one that authorizes the means that was used by Mahatma Ghandi in order to liberate India from the British occupation. It includes moral and systematization the knowledge (refer to document number is 5)
The specific current means
The means that the specialized committees authorized are:
First peaceful means
Second non-violent means
Chosen peaceful means can be summarized as follows
Choosing the case that we must struggle for its sake.
Studying the case thoroughly discussing all its aspects;
executing a campaign for it.
law suggestion suitable to the modification of the cared laws or a new law approval
The assignment of deputies contact committee and its job to give the friend deputies (at least 10) to give it to the parliament ten and follow up the struggle until its confirmation.
The committee’s members should do workshops on the non-violence in theory, moral, and practice.
Agreement with non-violent organization and human rights organizations and other concerned people in the case to arrange struggle according to the means mentioned in document number 5